Visiting my parents over the Jubilee weekend, our family had tickets to the local Party in the Park and we had to come up with a picnic meal to take with us. Along with the usual wine, beer and other nibbles, we decided to make this delicious frittata, after my Mum found it in a Marks & Spencer Recipe magazine!
After I cooked the peppers, mixed the ingredients together with the eggs, I then sat watching the whole thing cook diligently for about 15 minutes and it turned out fantastic! We thought we could cook it last thing and it would still be warm when we arrived and started eating, which it was. After all the rain we had had throughout the day, this really did bring the sun out when we started serving and eating it. It is definitely a great foundation recipe that could have lots of other ingredients added to make different flavours.
Ready in 45 minutes and full of flavour, this frittata requires only a small amount of ingredients and can be created in five easy to follow steps:
2 Red Peppers, halved and deseeded
500g New Potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
1 Courgette, trimmed and sliced
8 Medium Eggs
120g Mature Cheddar, grated
1. Heat the grill to high. Arrange the peppers cut-side down in a roasting tray and grill for 8-10 minutes until the skins are charred and blistered. Transfer to a plastic food bag and seal. Set aside for 10 minutes to steam.
2. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes or until just tender. Drain well.
3. Heat half the olive oil in a large non-stick, ovenproof frying pan, about 25cm diameter, and fry the onion and courgette for 4-5 minutes until softened and slightly coloured, then remove from the pan. Wipe the frying pan clean with kitchen paper.
4. Take the peppers out of the bag and remove the skins, then cut the flesh into thick strips. In a large jug or bowl, lightly beat the eggs and add the onion and courgette mixture, peppers, potatoes and half the cheese. Season to taste.
5. Heat the remaining oil in the clean frying pan and pour in the egg mixture. Cook over a very low heat for 10-12 minutes or until the mixture is set on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese and grill for 2-3 minutes until browned and completely set.