When my parents celebrated their 40th wedding anniversary, they decided to hold a ‘Drinks & Nibbles’ party at their home for our family and special friends. We put up a pergola, as English weather can be temperamental, cleaned the house, sorted the garden and we were ready. As my Mum suffers from coeliac disease and likes to know the source of food, organic if possible, she decided to cook the nibbles herself. 40 guests needed at least 12/15 nibbles each, so she cooked, froze and made fresh on the day. The weather could have been kinder, but the showers didn’t seem to dampen anyones spirits, and the sun shone for some of the day. They had a great day – just what everyone wanted.
The recipe for ‘Easy Lamb Koftas’ came from a friend and they are delicious.
400g Minced Lamb
1 Onion, chopped and cooked in a little oil
1½ slices of bread made into breadcrumbs (I used gluten-free bread)
2tblsps Aubergine pickle – chop small any large pieces
2tblsps Mango chutney - chop small any large pieces
Salt and Pepper
1. Using a food processor, or just your fingers, process the lamb until smooth.
2. In a large bowl put the lamb and add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
3. Add a little oil to your hands and shape into sausages – small ones for nibbles and large ones for the BBQ.
4. Cook in the oven at 180 Fan, 200C/400F, Gas 5. The nibbles are ready after 10/12minutes and the larger ones 15/18mins.
5. If making in advance cook until just done and then freeze. When required unfreeze and cook until nicely coloured.
Finally push sticks in one end and serve with a yoghurt dip.